Saturday, 3 March 2012

Recent Reads.....

Here are a few of my reads in February!.... a number of you ask how I can read so much. Reading forms part of my daily commute which is at least an hour each way (without delays!) so the thought of starting off each morning without a book to read fills me with complete panic!... also I suffer with dreadful insomnia so the Ipad is a welcome friend at 3am...
I've picked out 3 of my favourite reads to review from Feb...
Horse Play ~Jo Carneige - this is Jo's 5th book in her Churchminster series and I wasn't disappointed. It felt like I had met up with old friends that I hadn't seen for a while ~ pure delight from start to finish. Even if you haven't read any of the previous 4 you can pick this up and thoroughly enjoy it.. Jilly Cooper of today... Heat magazine described it as the the SATC! (Sex & the Countryside) lots of characters, laugh out loud moments and a great story... you will want to move to Churchminster! Featuring new character Kizzy who aspires to be a jump jockey...even if you aren't a fan of horse racing do not let the title put you off ..its a  romp of a read from start to finish.
Katie FForde ~ Summer of Love - I've read every Katie FForde book, perfect comfort read to curl upto with, on a cold day with a mug of coffee and a bar of chocolate.. it gives you that warm glow. Sian and her small son Rory move to a picture postcard cottage in the country.... she is befriended by Fiona an older lady who's son is away travelling... I loved Fiona she made me laugh out loud, from her internet dating disasters to her needing to buy new underwear before a date was a delight...Fiona's son returns from travelling and it appears that Sian and Gus have met before!.... a delightful easy read ... perfect for a rainy day.
Christmas at Tiffany's ~ Karen Swan - this has been languishing in my to read pile since before Christmas, and after reading I can't believe that I left it so long!...DO NOT be put off by the title, this book is so much more than a Christmas read, in fact I think the title is only thing wrong with this book as it is not a Christmas or seasonal book... Cassie has been friends with Kelly, Suzy & Anouk who respectively live in New York, London & Paris, with Cassie living in the highlands of Scotland. On the day that she is celebrating her 10th wedding anniversary her life falls apart, the girls gang together and whisk Carrie away to spend 4 months with each of them in their respective citys'.. Henry is Suzy's younger brother and an avid traveller sends Carrie a list of 5 things to see/do in the city that she is residing...having never strayed far from Scotland this starts a year of an adventure for Carrie.... I loved Henry's lists and want to live them in each of the city's!... a trip to Paris & New York are now back on my wish list for this year... Loved this book..
This month has also seen me reading & submitting my reviews for the judging of the Melissa Nathan book awards ... watch this space for more details.

2 comments:

Archies Mum said...

I love, love, love your reviews. Thanks again. I may just have to invest in some of your recommendations. Hope you are keeping well and that work has now calmed down x

Florence and Mary said...

Isn't Christmas at Tiffany's a great read! I had it sitting in my pile for ages and took me forever to get round to reading it but so glad I did!

Victoria xx

Saturday, 3 March 2012

Recent Reads.....

Here are a few of my reads in February!.... a number of you ask how I can read so much. Reading forms part of my daily commute which is at least an hour each way (without delays!) so the thought of starting off each morning without a book to read fills me with complete panic!... also I suffer with dreadful insomnia so the Ipad is a welcome friend at 3am...
I've picked out 3 of my favourite reads to review from Feb...
Horse Play ~Jo Carneige - this is Jo's 5th book in her Churchminster series and I wasn't disappointed. It felt like I had met up with old friends that I hadn't seen for a while ~ pure delight from start to finish. Even if you haven't read any of the previous 4 you can pick this up and thoroughly enjoy it.. Jilly Cooper of today... Heat magazine described it as the the SATC! (Sex & the Countryside) lots of characters, laugh out loud moments and a great story... you will want to move to Churchminster! Featuring new character Kizzy who aspires to be a jump jockey...even if you aren't a fan of horse racing do not let the title put you off ..its a  romp of a read from start to finish.
Katie FForde ~ Summer of Love - I've read every Katie FForde book, perfect comfort read to curl upto with, on a cold day with a mug of coffee and a bar of chocolate.. it gives you that warm glow. Sian and her small son Rory move to a picture postcard cottage in the country.... she is befriended by Fiona an older lady who's son is away travelling... I loved Fiona she made me laugh out loud, from her internet dating disasters to her needing to buy new underwear before a date was a delight...Fiona's son returns from travelling and it appears that Sian and Gus have met before!.... a delightful easy read ... perfect for a rainy day.
Christmas at Tiffany's ~ Karen Swan - this has been languishing in my to read pile since before Christmas, and after reading I can't believe that I left it so long!...DO NOT be put off by the title, this book is so much more than a Christmas read, in fact I think the title is only thing wrong with this book as it is not a Christmas or seasonal book... Cassie has been friends with Kelly, Suzy & Anouk who respectively live in New York, London & Paris, with Cassie living in the highlands of Scotland. On the day that she is celebrating her 10th wedding anniversary her life falls apart, the girls gang together and whisk Carrie away to spend 4 months with each of them in their respective citys'.. Henry is Suzy's younger brother and an avid traveller sends Carrie a list of 5 things to see/do in the city that she is residing...having never strayed far from Scotland this starts a year of an adventure for Carrie.... I loved Henry's lists and want to live them in each of the city's!... a trip to Paris & New York are now back on my wish list for this year... Loved this book..
This month has also seen me reading & submitting my reviews for the judging of the Melissa Nathan book awards ... watch this space for more details.

2 comments:

Archies Mum said...

I love, love, love your reviews. Thanks again. I may just have to invest in some of your recommendations. Hope you are keeping well and that work has now calmed down x

Florence and Mary said...

Isn't Christmas at Tiffany's a great read! I had it sitting in my pile for ages and took me forever to get round to reading it but so glad I did!

Victoria xx