Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Summer reads.. 2013 part 1

I've devoured lots of books this summer, they have allowed me to escape to lovely places and have amazing adventures whilst sitting on a hot sweaty tube underground London, under a tree in one of London's green spaces or just sat on my doorstep enjoying the sunshine.
Here's 5 of my 10 favs from this Summer;
Adele Parks ~ Whatever it Takes  Eloise has what appears to everyone the perfect life in London, gorgeous husband & family and fabulous friends, including best friend Sara. Eloise's husband Mark hankers for a simpler life back in his hometown now Dartmouth in Devon, nearer to his parents and family business.. A huge life changing move occurs .. What unravels is a story that touches, friendship, family love and trust & betrayal. This book deals with so many issues, I have never read a book before where I have vehemently disliked one of the characters so much as I disliked Sara...  But couldn't put it down...
Rebecca Chance ~ Killer Queens  a romp of a read from start to finish..... Reading between the lines I would say that Rebecca's inspiration was Kate & William, the marriage of Prince Albert of Monaco and conspiracy theories of Princess Diana.. 3 queens, future, past & present and how their lives interweave.. All fictional of course!!!.. 
Lucy Diamond ~ Me & Mr Jones   3 women all in love 3 brothers names Jones .. The Jones family have run a B&B on the south coast for many years but life is taking its toll and one of the brothers needs to step in...  As the future of the B&B becomes uncertain, Izzy, Alicia and Emma are thrown together unexpectedly. It seems that keeping up with the Joneses is harder than anyone thought . . this is a heartwarming tale of heartbreak, hope, friendship and love... Thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Milly Johnson ~ Its Raining Men  Best friends from work May, Lara and Clare are desperate for some time away. They have each had a rough time of it lately and need some serious R & R. So they 
set off to a luxurious spa for ten glorious days, but when they arrive at their destination, it seems it is not the place they thought it was. In fact, they appear to have come to entirely the wrong village… Here in Ren Dullem nothing is quite what it seems; there were parts of this book I loved and parts of it I wast so sure of... At times it felt like I was on a Scooby Doo adventure, great story but not quite believable!.. That aside I loved the relationship between the 3 women, growing from a work friendship to something so much more by the end.. A fun read, but one even my imagination couldn't quite stretch to.
Sasha Wagstaff ~ Recipe of Love  Cassie has 3 months to plan her wedding, but instead is assigned to southern Italy to share the home of Rocco Disnati reclusive,private and vert talented chef. Here she is to write a food article for a Uk magazine.. Urged by his grandmother to support this... Is it a recipe for disaster or something so much more. I loved this book, it made me want to book a holiday back to Italy and cook lots of Italian dishes.. Not sure why I left this languishing in my 'to read' pile for so long.. It's delicious!
I hope these have wetted your appetite for a little reading... Thanks authors for such an adventure, featuring food, friendship, Alzheimer's, mariners tales, family love, royal conspiracies, Italy, betrayal and trust.. Happy reading x

2 comments:

Victoria Eales said...

I'm due to start Killer Queens any day now!

Victoria

FlorenceandMary.com

mrsmsmeanderings said...

I really enjoyed that Adele Parks books, but have just been disappointed by her latest one, The State We're In - just didn't do it for me. I haven't read any of your others, but have added a couple to my list - thanks for the recommendations x

Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Summer reads.. 2013 part 1

I've devoured lots of books this summer, they have allowed me to escape to lovely places and have amazing adventures whilst sitting on a hot sweaty tube underground London, under a tree in one of London's green spaces or just sat on my doorstep enjoying the sunshine.
Here's 5 of my 10 favs from this Summer;
Adele Parks ~ Whatever it Takes  Eloise has what appears to everyone the perfect life in London, gorgeous husband & family and fabulous friends, including best friend Sara. Eloise's husband Mark hankers for a simpler life back in his hometown now Dartmouth in Devon, nearer to his parents and family business.. A huge life changing move occurs .. What unravels is a story that touches, friendship, family love and trust & betrayal. This book deals with so many issues, I have never read a book before where I have vehemently disliked one of the characters so much as I disliked Sara...  But couldn't put it down...
Rebecca Chance ~ Killer Queens  a romp of a read from start to finish..... Reading between the lines I would say that Rebecca's inspiration was Kate & William, the marriage of Prince Albert of Monaco and conspiracy theories of Princess Diana.. 3 queens, future, past & present and how their lives interweave.. All fictional of course!!!.. 
Lucy Diamond ~ Me & Mr Jones   3 women all in love 3 brothers names Jones .. The Jones family have run a B&B on the south coast for many years but life is taking its toll and one of the brothers needs to step in...  As the future of the B&B becomes uncertain, Izzy, Alicia and Emma are thrown together unexpectedly. It seems that keeping up with the Joneses is harder than anyone thought . . this is a heartwarming tale of heartbreak, hope, friendship and love... Thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Milly Johnson ~ Its Raining Men  Best friends from work May, Lara and Clare are desperate for some time away. They have each had a rough time of it lately and need some serious R & R. So they 
set off to a luxurious spa for ten glorious days, but when they arrive at their destination, it seems it is not the place they thought it was. In fact, they appear to have come to entirely the wrong village… Here in Ren Dullem nothing is quite what it seems; there were parts of this book I loved and parts of it I wast so sure of... At times it felt like I was on a Scooby Doo adventure, great story but not quite believable!.. That aside I loved the relationship between the 3 women, growing from a work friendship to something so much more by the end.. A fun read, but one even my imagination couldn't quite stretch to.
Sasha Wagstaff ~ Recipe of Love  Cassie has 3 months to plan her wedding, but instead is assigned to southern Italy to share the home of Rocco Disnati reclusive,private and vert talented chef. Here she is to write a food article for a Uk magazine.. Urged by his grandmother to support this... Is it a recipe for disaster or something so much more. I loved this book, it made me want to book a holiday back to Italy and cook lots of Italian dishes.. Not sure why I left this languishing in my 'to read' pile for so long.. It's delicious!
I hope these have wetted your appetite for a little reading... Thanks authors for such an adventure, featuring food, friendship, Alzheimer's, mariners tales, family love, royal conspiracies, Italy, betrayal and trust.. Happy reading x

2 comments:

Victoria Eales said...

I'm due to start Killer Queens any day now!

Victoria

FlorenceandMary.com

mrsmsmeanderings said...

I really enjoyed that Adele Parks books, but have just been disappointed by her latest one, The State We're In - just didn't do it for me. I haven't read any of your others, but have added a couple to my list - thanks for the recommendations x