Wednesday, 4 February 2015

Musical Moment in Times Square...


Times Square over the 20 years that I have been visiting New York has evolved immensely.... it has gone from being a sleazy junction of electric bill boards to a very busy predominately pedestrianised family location.Crowds gather at multiple locations, early morning to feature in the back drop of Good Morning America, or at the Ticket booth for discount Broadway shows, there is always something happening.
On my first night in New York I was returning to my hotel via Times square, I had earlier in the evening walked up to the Rockefeller and along 5th soaking up the sights and sounds.
On turning into Times square at 48th, I noticed that something was happening in the square and it was extraordinarily loud and lots of red screens.... a friendly NYPD officer who was holding a "Do Not Cross" tape asked if I was going to the 'show' and if so I could sneak in the side entrance!..... I opted to duck in the side, having no idea what was going on, to be greeted by a huge red stage which was hosting U2 for an unannounced gig for World Aids Day.  With Bono incapacitated from a bike accident they were being fronted by Chris Martin in a fab Substi2u T-shirt.
Even though the weather was turning a little damp, I chose to stay for a while and watch 2 music icons perform on stage.....it really was a beautiful day.... closely followed by With or without you
Its not often you get to see one of America's rock legends for free in Times Square, but I did experience that as Bruce Springsteen joined U2 on stage ....... soaking up the moment was magical. 
As I was watching I had a complete klutz moment and ended up tripping over the man next to me, who gallantly helped me up, when I looked up to thank him I came face to face with Bill Clinton!.... the klutz then became a stuttering idiot and just about managed to murmur thank you.... by this stage I though it was best to make a hasty exit before an FBI agent apprehended me!
I couldn't have planned a better first night in New York  if I had tried.... completely unexpected with some fantastic memories that will stay with me into my old age!....heading back to my hotel a little wet & cold but with a big smile and a bucket list moment to talk about.....
What a fantastic start to my 5 days in New York....

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Loved reading this story again, even though I'd already heard it. Fabulous! xx

brokeinthebigsmoke.com said...

Oh my got what? Is this even real life. Brilliant! x

Wednesday, 4 February 2015

Musical Moment in Times Square...


Times Square over the 20 years that I have been visiting New York has evolved immensely.... it has gone from being a sleazy junction of electric bill boards to a very busy predominately pedestrianised family location.Crowds gather at multiple locations, early morning to feature in the back drop of Good Morning America, or at the Ticket booth for discount Broadway shows, there is always something happening.
On my first night in New York I was returning to my hotel via Times square, I had earlier in the evening walked up to the Rockefeller and along 5th soaking up the sights and sounds.
On turning into Times square at 48th, I noticed that something was happening in the square and it was extraordinarily loud and lots of red screens.... a friendly NYPD officer who was holding a "Do Not Cross" tape asked if I was going to the 'show' and if so I could sneak in the side entrance!..... I opted to duck in the side, having no idea what was going on, to be greeted by a huge red stage which was hosting U2 for an unannounced gig for World Aids Day.  With Bono incapacitated from a bike accident they were being fronted by Chris Martin in a fab Substi2u T-shirt.
Even though the weather was turning a little damp, I chose to stay for a while and watch 2 music icons perform on stage.....it really was a beautiful day.... closely followed by With or without you
Its not often you get to see one of America's rock legends for free in Times Square, but I did experience that as Bruce Springsteen joined U2 on stage ....... soaking up the moment was magical. 
As I was watching I had a complete klutz moment and ended up tripping over the man next to me, who gallantly helped me up, when I looked up to thank him I came face to face with Bill Clinton!.... the klutz then became a stuttering idiot and just about managed to murmur thank you.... by this stage I though it was best to make a hasty exit before an FBI agent apprehended me!
I couldn't have planned a better first night in New York  if I had tried.... completely unexpected with some fantastic memories that will stay with me into my old age!....heading back to my hotel a little wet & cold but with a big smile and a bucket list moment to talk about.....
What a fantastic start to my 5 days in New York....

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Loved reading this story again, even though I'd already heard it. Fabulous! xx

brokeinthebigsmoke.com said...

Oh my got what? Is this even real life. Brilliant! x