Tuesday, 3 February 2015

Welcome to New York...

8 weeks ago I landed in the city that doesn't sleep for 5 days of city living New York style... with Christmas & financial year end I haven't had much time to sort my photo's and post any of my adventures... but February's here and I'm determined to share them with you through this month!...
My New York adventure kicked off at Heathrow and this year I flew Delta and was upgraded at the point that I checked in!... with a comfy seat / bed, films & food and drink on tap the 7 hour flight passed in a blink of an eye...Landing at lunchtime in JFK refreshed & relaxed was a lovely and after the regulatory queues through immigration and customs I was soon in arrivals. This year unlike many others I opted to travel into Manhattan via the airtrain and subway. I have always taken the shuttle bus or taxi but after several visits to the city, I was confident that I would be able to get to my hotel via the train without getting lost!....
The air train took me to the Long Island Rail Road where I swapped over to the subway (E) train to Times Square. ... what a breeze, and for the bargain price of $7, instead of a $70 taxi! and only took an hour (traffic dependent this can be considerably longer via taxi/shuttle)
Travelling by train I got to see a different approach to the city and its fabulous landscape, which I snapped from the train
I found the train so straight forward that I decided that if my luggage allowed I would travel back this way, saving $'s both ways.
Arriving into Times Square mid afternoon my hotel was a short walk from the subway on West 45th street. I stayed at a little hotel called Room Mate Grace, which was in a great location, free wifi, a very comfy bed and a very funky swimming pool...
New York room's are small, (unless you book luxury), this hotel ticked lots of boxes for me and although it was basic it was in an ideal location, had a small fridge, flat screen TV, comfy double bed (raised on a platform) and very luxurious bedding and very funky wallpaper!... perfect sleeping zone after busy days in the city.
With bags dumped and unpacked I headed out to explore the city!...... pop back tomorrow  when I share my first night adventures in New York City, featuring rock stars & former presidents!

3 comments:

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

Good for you getting the train… on last years trip to Vegas mum and I used the monorail to get around rather than relying on taxi's to save a few $$$ for our shopping. That's what I love about returning to places you've been before, you feel so much more confident to try other means of transport.

Victoria x
FlorenceandMary.com

Eat Love Wanderlust said...

I am so jealous about your upgrade. Every time I've flown Delta I've had issues.

I too took public transport rather than a cab on my most recent visit and couldn't believe how cheap/easy it was compared to a cab. In fact I only took one cab my entire trip! x

Eat Love Wanderlust said...

I am so jealous of your upgrade. Every time I've flown Delta I've had problems.

I too took public transport into Manhattan this trip and couldn't believe how easy/cheap it was. In fact I only took one cab the entire trip! x

Tuesday, 3 February 2015

Welcome to New York...

8 weeks ago I landed in the city that doesn't sleep for 5 days of city living New York style... with Christmas & financial year end I haven't had much time to sort my photo's and post any of my adventures... but February's here and I'm determined to share them with you through this month!...
My New York adventure kicked off at Heathrow and this year I flew Delta and was upgraded at the point that I checked in!... with a comfy seat / bed, films & food and drink on tap the 7 hour flight passed in a blink of an eye...Landing at lunchtime in JFK refreshed & relaxed was a lovely and after the regulatory queues through immigration and customs I was soon in arrivals. This year unlike many others I opted to travel into Manhattan via the airtrain and subway. I have always taken the shuttle bus or taxi but after several visits to the city, I was confident that I would be able to get to my hotel via the train without getting lost!....
The air train took me to the Long Island Rail Road where I swapped over to the subway (E) train to Times Square. ... what a breeze, and for the bargain price of $7, instead of a $70 taxi! and only took an hour (traffic dependent this can be considerably longer via taxi/shuttle)
Travelling by train I got to see a different approach to the city and its fabulous landscape, which I snapped from the train
I found the train so straight forward that I decided that if my luggage allowed I would travel back this way, saving $'s both ways.
Arriving into Times Square mid afternoon my hotel was a short walk from the subway on West 45th street. I stayed at a little hotel called Room Mate Grace, which was in a great location, free wifi, a very comfy bed and a very funky swimming pool...
New York room's are small, (unless you book luxury), this hotel ticked lots of boxes for me and although it was basic it was in an ideal location, had a small fridge, flat screen TV, comfy double bed (raised on a platform) and very luxurious bedding and very funky wallpaper!... perfect sleeping zone after busy days in the city.
With bags dumped and unpacked I headed out to explore the city!...... pop back tomorrow  when I share my first night adventures in New York City, featuring rock stars & former presidents!

3 comments:

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

Good for you getting the train… on last years trip to Vegas mum and I used the monorail to get around rather than relying on taxi's to save a few $$$ for our shopping. That's what I love about returning to places you've been before, you feel so much more confident to try other means of transport.

Victoria x
FlorenceandMary.com

Eat Love Wanderlust said...

I am so jealous about your upgrade. Every time I've flown Delta I've had issues.

I too took public transport rather than a cab on my most recent visit and couldn't believe how cheap/easy it was compared to a cab. In fact I only took one cab my entire trip! x

Eat Love Wanderlust said...

I am so jealous of your upgrade. Every time I've flown Delta I've had problems.

I too took public transport into Manhattan this trip and couldn't believe how easy/cheap it was. In fact I only took one cab the entire trip! x