Sunday, 29 May 2011

Goodbye London... Hello New York!

1 week ago I was on route to New York!... what with one thing and another I hadn't had time to plan much for this trip, but as this trip took me into double figures of visits I decided to be a little less controlled and wing it a little!... Having never visited outside of Fall/Winter this also was a new adventure. With the Spring sunshine in mind I had booked a little hotel on the Upper West Side near to Central Park.
With an early morning dash across the city and the sunshine of London behind me, it was a little disarming to land to gloomy skies and rain threatening....
After the red tape of immigration and the shuttle trip into the city, the first site of the New York skyline made my heart beat a little faster and the bubble of excitement grow!... Checking in was a breeze and with bags unpacked it was time to explore.
I've never stayed on the West Side and couldn't have picked a better location, a stones throw from the park (Strawberry Fields entrance) and Columbus Avenue which has a great cosmopolitan feel.
My walk down Columbus passed several great restaurants and 2 streets from my hotel a Magnolia Bakery!... deciding that this would be a stop on the way back I carried on down the avenue, passing the Lincoln Centre (home of the ballet & arts) to Columbus Circle...I explored the Time Warner building before crossing onto Broadway towards Times Square....
Sundays in the summer see a street market set up down the Broadway to the Square. Times square is the hub of New York, you could people watch here for hours... most excited when I saw the Glee advert for the Season Finale!...

2 comments:

Florence and Mary said...

Looks like you hit the ground running T!

Victoria xxx

Jen said...

Oh wow! Thank you for the blog posts on NY (which I've just read in reverse order, but never mind eh?). I'm soooo yearning to go now....

Sunday, 29 May 2011

Goodbye London... Hello New York!

1 week ago I was on route to New York!... what with one thing and another I hadn't had time to plan much for this trip, but as this trip took me into double figures of visits I decided to be a little less controlled and wing it a little!... Having never visited outside of Fall/Winter this also was a new adventure. With the Spring sunshine in mind I had booked a little hotel on the Upper West Side near to Central Park.
With an early morning dash across the city and the sunshine of London behind me, it was a little disarming to land to gloomy skies and rain threatening....
After the red tape of immigration and the shuttle trip into the city, the first site of the New York skyline made my heart beat a little faster and the bubble of excitement grow!... Checking in was a breeze and with bags unpacked it was time to explore.
I've never stayed on the West Side and couldn't have picked a better location, a stones throw from the park (Strawberry Fields entrance) and Columbus Avenue which has a great cosmopolitan feel.
My walk down Columbus passed several great restaurants and 2 streets from my hotel a Magnolia Bakery!... deciding that this would be a stop on the way back I carried on down the avenue, passing the Lincoln Centre (home of the ballet & arts) to Columbus Circle...I explored the Time Warner building before crossing onto Broadway towards Times Square....
Sundays in the summer see a street market set up down the Broadway to the Square. Times square is the hub of New York, you could people watch here for hours... most excited when I saw the Glee advert for the Season Finale!...

2 comments:

Florence and Mary said...

Looks like you hit the ground running T!

Victoria xxx

Jen said...

Oh wow! Thank you for the blog posts on NY (which I've just read in reverse order, but never mind eh?). I'm soooo yearning to go now....