Thursday, 2 October 2014

Spandau Ballet ~ Soul Boys

My final "Back to School" moment for the month came on Tuesday night when I spent the night on the red carpet with the Soul Boys of Spandau Ballet.  Its no secret on this blog that I am a fan (Spandau's reformation tour and Tony at the Albert Hall) and jumped at the chance to see the premier of their docu-movie and gig at the Royal Albert Hall. This would be the first time that the whole band would gig this stage since 1983 when True was at the top of the charts.
I arrived at one of my favourite venues in London the Royal Albert Hall just in time to see the band step onto the red carpet. All boys led the fashion stakes in legendary style and panache, something that they were known for over the last 35 years... a little older but still looking fabulous. It was cool to see.
Lauren Laverne opened the evening and welcomed the other 200 cinemas across the nation that had joined the premier of the movie. A full to the rafters Albert Hall settled in their seats, boxes and standing in the eves to watch the film reel roll for a trip back in time to the 80's.
The movie is a fabulous foray into world of the Ballet boys from the fun to the fighting all against the backdrop of the fashion, music and world of the 80's.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film, it bought back so many memories, its a film about friendship, music, politics and fashion. At times its not comfortable viewing and I would imagine the band when they saw it felt the same, as the falling out and consequent court case makes for uncomfortable viewing.
After the movie, the band sat with the director George Hencken for a Q & A, which again was screened across the cinemas and was much fun. It was evident from this that the band were back in good form and all past differences looked firmly behind them.

 With the movie and Q&A finished it now time to party.... the Ballet boys took to the stage for a set of tunes famous across the world. If any fan had any doubts that Tony & Gary still had issues, these were firmly put to bed when they took to the stage as a pair to kick off the into to Through the Barricades.

 Spandau Ballet were back in fine voice, rocking the Albert Hall is if it was a weekly occurrence instead of 30 years ago.
The band sung a set of 6 songs including To Cut a Long Story short, and the fabulous Only when you Leave,
It was soon time for the end of course the legendary school disco anthem True...
 

As the band closed the set, it was clear to see that they were completely overwhelmed by the response to the evening.
Obviously the evening wasn't completely over as the band returned to the stage for a final encore of their huge anthem Gold!....
The band and crowd rocked the rafters...
It was now officially time to say goodnight, and what an amazing night it was. I had a fabulous time. The Ballet boys are back, and long may it last!
Spandau Ballet cemented their longevity on the little slot they have in my heart on the stage Tuesday night. They took me back to my teens through their film and music and I loved it. I may have been a devout Duranie during my teens but the Ballet boys were a close 2nd for me. This evening took me back to so much, it captures the innocence of those teen years for me perfectly, of so many happy memories and friendships that remain as strong as they did 35 years ago. My life changed significantly in the mid 80's, however this band always takes me back to a happy place, something that has given many smiles over the years, and one of the reasons why I jump at the chance of seeing them whenever and however. I am now looking forward to an evening with Tony Hadley and an orchestra in October and a TV special on the 14th October of the Ballet boys along with a new single and album.... new single showcased here


Wednesday morning I did realise that I was no longer 14 again as late nights on school nights were no longer as forgiving as they used to be and being at my desk for 7 was a killer!.... however happily reliving the evening and my youth kept me going through the day.

No comments:

Thursday, 2 October 2014

Spandau Ballet ~ Soul Boys

My final "Back to School" moment for the month came on Tuesday night when I spent the night on the red carpet with the Soul Boys of Spandau Ballet.  Its no secret on this blog that I am a fan (Spandau's reformation tour and Tony at the Albert Hall) and jumped at the chance to see the premier of their docu-movie and gig at the Royal Albert Hall. This would be the first time that the whole band would gig this stage since 1983 when True was at the top of the charts.
I arrived at one of my favourite venues in London the Royal Albert Hall just in time to see the band step onto the red carpet. All boys led the fashion stakes in legendary style and panache, something that they were known for over the last 35 years... a little older but still looking fabulous. It was cool to see.
Lauren Laverne opened the evening and welcomed the other 200 cinemas across the nation that had joined the premier of the movie. A full to the rafters Albert Hall settled in their seats, boxes and standing in the eves to watch the film reel roll for a trip back in time to the 80's.
The movie is a fabulous foray into world of the Ballet boys from the fun to the fighting all against the backdrop of the fashion, music and world of the 80's.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film, it bought back so many memories, its a film about friendship, music, politics and fashion. At times its not comfortable viewing and I would imagine the band when they saw it felt the same, as the falling out and consequent court case makes for uncomfortable viewing.
After the movie, the band sat with the director George Hencken for a Q & A, which again was screened across the cinemas and was much fun. It was evident from this that the band were back in good form and all past differences looked firmly behind them.

 With the movie and Q&A finished it now time to party.... the Ballet boys took to the stage for a set of tunes famous across the world. If any fan had any doubts that Tony & Gary still had issues, these were firmly put to bed when they took to the stage as a pair to kick off the into to Through the Barricades.

 Spandau Ballet were back in fine voice, rocking the Albert Hall is if it was a weekly occurrence instead of 30 years ago.
The band sung a set of 6 songs including To Cut a Long Story short, and the fabulous Only when you Leave,
It was soon time for the end of course the legendary school disco anthem True...
 

As the band closed the set, it was clear to see that they were completely overwhelmed by the response to the evening.
Obviously the evening wasn't completely over as the band returned to the stage for a final encore of their huge anthem Gold!....
The band and crowd rocked the rafters...
It was now officially time to say goodnight, and what an amazing night it was. I had a fabulous time. The Ballet boys are back, and long may it last!
Spandau Ballet cemented their longevity on the little slot they have in my heart on the stage Tuesday night. They took me back to my teens through their film and music and I loved it. I may have been a devout Duranie during my teens but the Ballet boys were a close 2nd for me. This evening took me back to so much, it captures the innocence of those teen years for me perfectly, of so many happy memories and friendships that remain as strong as they did 35 years ago. My life changed significantly in the mid 80's, however this band always takes me back to a happy place, something that has given many smiles over the years, and one of the reasons why I jump at the chance of seeing them whenever and however. I am now looking forward to an evening with Tony Hadley and an orchestra in October and a TV special on the 14th October of the Ballet boys along with a new single and album.... new single showcased here


Wednesday morning I did realise that I was no longer 14 again as late nights on school nights were no longer as forgiving as they used to be and being at my desk for 7 was a killer!.... however happily reliving the evening and my youth kept me going through the day.

No comments: