Wednesday, 15 October 2014

Wednesday Words ~ October

This month Kindle and I have had an adventure whist commuting home from work (more of which I will share late in the post. I have also read 5 books which have kept me entertained as I travel through the tunnels of the London tube.
This months reads;
  • The Vineyard ~ Karen Aldous - Lizzie has created a life in Cannes with her small boy and successful beauty business. Estranged from her mother for several years she heads home to find that things have changes and moved on in her absence. Here Lizzie meets Cal who is leasing land from her mother to grow a Vineyard.  I enjoyed this book, but it took some time for me to like Lizzie, the book also deals with some difficult subjects and fluctuates between 2 styles of writing which took some time for me to get used to. However that aside I enjoyed the story and characters and it was nice to escape to the glamour of the South of France for a while.
  • Sealed with a Kiss ~ Rachel Lucas - Kate is dumped on her best friend's wedding day by the world's most boring boyfriend, Ian. She is more upset at being jobless & homeless on the back of the break-up and finds herself taking a job on the remote Scottish island of Auchenmor as an all-round Girl Friday. She is not known for her organisational skills and has a disastrous first meeting with her grouchy boss Laird of the Island - Roddy. However Kate finds herself falling in love with the island and its inhabitants. I loved this book from the start, and I along with Kate fell in love with the island of Auchenmor... I even googled highland island getaway's for next year. A fabulous first book, perfect for curling up on the sofa with a large mug of chocolate ~ delicious
  • Love Like the Movies ~ Victoria Van Tiem - Kenzi has her life all scripted, fiancé Bradley, successful career, home & kids all planned until Kenzi's ex and the boy who broke her heart enters stage left. Shane embarks on a journey to win Kenzi back by re-enacting all the rom-com movies that they used to watch together. He's just a guy, standing in front of a girl, asking her to trust him again!...this book is a must for any rom-com movie fan, perfect for an afternoon on the sofa with a bucket of popcorn and a soda. I loved it and are now working my way through some movie favourites.
  • Gone Girl ~ Gillian Flynn - late to the party on this book and have very mixed views. Amy & Nick have been married for 5 years when she disappears, this starts a huge investigation, with the biggest question being asked has he killed her?... her diary alludes to a marriage that is not what it seems. With huge twists and turns, this book absolutely keeps you on the edge of your seat and keeps you turning pages. This book had be completely gripped until the end when it turned completely and now I hate it. I absolutely loath the ending and wish I hadn't read it as I feel like its a waste of time. With how successful this book has been and the noise behind the film I am in the minority, but just feel cheated.

  • Pieces of You - Ella Harper - Lucy & Luke are soul mates and have the perfect marriage, after eight long, heart-breaking years trying to have a baby, that perfect marriage is crumbling before their eyes.When a terrible accident puts Luke into a coma, Lucy is forced to reassess everything she thought she wanted.  - I loved this book, it's a heart wrenching story which will make you ask yourself so many questions. Written under the new pen name of Ella Harper this is a huge departure from Sasha Wagstaffs normal writing, immensely enjoyable, it explores family ties, secrets and heart-ache.... my only advice is to make sure that you have a hankie handy when you read it.. you will need it. - Ella's book was also the reason for my tube adventure this month!
I was so engrossed in reading Ella's Pieces of You standing on the platform at Bond street station commuting home Friday evening, that I completely didn't see the girl rushing towards me to board the oncoming central line tube. As she barrelled into me my Kindle hurtled into the air into the path of the oncoming tube.
As I waited for the tube to leave the platform, and to witness the fate of my kindle I envisaged looking down on the tracks and seeing a  broken little tablet. To my delight my kindle was hanging precariously on the edge of a ledge, still on the page I had been reading!. The team at Bond street were fabulous and due to it being a security/safety risk to leave it there, they chose to stop the trains and rescue my Kindle from the track..... so huge apologies if you were on a delayed Central line Friday evening during rush hour, it was all my kindle & Ella's fault!
As you can see I've read a an eclectic mix this month and enjoyed most of them. Here are my previous Wednesday words posts of books read this year.
 Look forward to sharing my reads next month...what have you been reading? did you love it or did it not live up to expectation?

2 comments:

Victoria Eales said...

I can't believe how lucky you were with your kindle!

Victoria x
FlorenceandMary.com

mrsmsmeanderings said...

Oooh, exciting story with the Kindle - glad it was saved! I loved Gone Girl and quite liked the ending, too (I know I'm in the minority regarding the ending). The Ella Harper book sounds good - will download it for my hols x

Wednesday, 15 October 2014

Wednesday Words ~ October

This month Kindle and I have had an adventure whist commuting home from work (more of which I will share late in the post. I have also read 5 books which have kept me entertained as I travel through the tunnels of the London tube.
This months reads;
  • The Vineyard ~ Karen Aldous - Lizzie has created a life in Cannes with her small boy and successful beauty business. Estranged from her mother for several years she heads home to find that things have changes and moved on in her absence. Here Lizzie meets Cal who is leasing land from her mother to grow a Vineyard.  I enjoyed this book, but it took some time for me to like Lizzie, the book also deals with some difficult subjects and fluctuates between 2 styles of writing which took some time for me to get used to. However that aside I enjoyed the story and characters and it was nice to escape to the glamour of the South of France for a while.
  • Sealed with a Kiss ~ Rachel Lucas - Kate is dumped on her best friend's wedding day by the world's most boring boyfriend, Ian. She is more upset at being jobless & homeless on the back of the break-up and finds herself taking a job on the remote Scottish island of Auchenmor as an all-round Girl Friday. She is not known for her organisational skills and has a disastrous first meeting with her grouchy boss Laird of the Island - Roddy. However Kate finds herself falling in love with the island and its inhabitants. I loved this book from the start, and I along with Kate fell in love with the island of Auchenmor... I even googled highland island getaway's for next year. A fabulous first book, perfect for curling up on the sofa with a large mug of chocolate ~ delicious
  • Love Like the Movies ~ Victoria Van Tiem - Kenzi has her life all scripted, fiancé Bradley, successful career, home & kids all planned until Kenzi's ex and the boy who broke her heart enters stage left. Shane embarks on a journey to win Kenzi back by re-enacting all the rom-com movies that they used to watch together. He's just a guy, standing in front of a girl, asking her to trust him again!...this book is a must for any rom-com movie fan, perfect for an afternoon on the sofa with a bucket of popcorn and a soda. I loved it and are now working my way through some movie favourites.
  • Gone Girl ~ Gillian Flynn - late to the party on this book and have very mixed views. Amy & Nick have been married for 5 years when she disappears, this starts a huge investigation, with the biggest question being asked has he killed her?... her diary alludes to a marriage that is not what it seems. With huge twists and turns, this book absolutely keeps you on the edge of your seat and keeps you turning pages. This book had be completely gripped until the end when it turned completely and now I hate it. I absolutely loath the ending and wish I hadn't read it as I feel like its a waste of time. With how successful this book has been and the noise behind the film I am in the minority, but just feel cheated.

  • Pieces of You - Ella Harper - Lucy & Luke are soul mates and have the perfect marriage, after eight long, heart-breaking years trying to have a baby, that perfect marriage is crumbling before their eyes.When a terrible accident puts Luke into a coma, Lucy is forced to reassess everything she thought she wanted.  - I loved this book, it's a heart wrenching story which will make you ask yourself so many questions. Written under the new pen name of Ella Harper this is a huge departure from Sasha Wagstaffs normal writing, immensely enjoyable, it explores family ties, secrets and heart-ache.... my only advice is to make sure that you have a hankie handy when you read it.. you will need it. - Ella's book was also the reason for my tube adventure this month!
I was so engrossed in reading Ella's Pieces of You standing on the platform at Bond street station commuting home Friday evening, that I completely didn't see the girl rushing towards me to board the oncoming central line tube. As she barrelled into me my Kindle hurtled into the air into the path of the oncoming tube.
As I waited for the tube to leave the platform, and to witness the fate of my kindle I envisaged looking down on the tracks and seeing a  broken little tablet. To my delight my kindle was hanging precariously on the edge of a ledge, still on the page I had been reading!. The team at Bond street were fabulous and due to it being a security/safety risk to leave it there, they chose to stop the trains and rescue my Kindle from the track..... so huge apologies if you were on a delayed Central line Friday evening during rush hour, it was all my kindle & Ella's fault!
As you can see I've read a an eclectic mix this month and enjoyed most of them. Here are my previous Wednesday words posts of books read this year.
 Look forward to sharing my reads next month...what have you been reading? did you love it or did it not live up to expectation?

2 comments:

Victoria Eales said...

I can't believe how lucky you were with your kindle!

Victoria x
FlorenceandMary.com

mrsmsmeanderings said...

Oooh, exciting story with the Kindle - glad it was saved! I loved Gone Girl and quite liked the ending, too (I know I'm in the minority regarding the ending). The Ella Harper book sounds good - will download it for my hols x