Tuesday, 26 May 2015

Chelsea Flower show - avenue & artisan

Friday afternoon I took a few hours off work and headed west to the beautiful grounds of the Old Chelsea Hospital to browse and marvel at the Floral and Landscape artists of the Chelsea Flower show. I have been a couple of times before, however this was the first time with an afternoon ticket and I liked the time and it felt a little more relaxed than the early morning rush I have experienced previously.In this post I am going to share some favourites from the show gardens, having watched the TV show and read some detail online previously I knew what things I wanted to see in the time frame that I had.
Trugmakers Garden ~ Gold

A Trugmakers Garden ~ celebrates the traditional skills in Sussex that make the iconic wllow and sweet chesnut trugs. I adorded this garden it bought back waves on nostalgia of my Gramps's allotment where there was always swaiths of wildflowers, poppies and tools!. Lovely to read that a large part of this garden will be replanted at a childrens hospice in Sussex.
This garden won a Gold medal, one I think is a worthy winner.

Old Forge for Motor Neurone - Silver
Another favourite in the Artisan gardens was this gorgeous Old Forge for Motor Neurone Disease Garden which was a beautiful nostalgic garden filled with hollyhocks, buttercups, and poppies, complete with a small stream. The blacksmiths forge in disrepair,due to their inability to work due to illness. The garden was a delightful trip down a bygone era.
Great Chelsea Garden Challenge - Sean Murphy
Sean Murphy's garden was created on winning the Great Garden Challenge on the BBC. It showcased a front garden and demonstrated hoe you could have a sustainable garden with urban living accommodating parking, but incorporating drainage and opportunities for insects and wildlife. I really liked this garden and would like to incorporate some of these ideas when I finally get round to dosing something with my jungle and drive!.
Laurent Perrier Chatsworth Garden 
Laurent Perrier Chatsworth Garden - Gold & Best in show
Designed by Dan Pearson who returned to Chelsea after a hiatus of several years worked with LP and Chatsworth to design a garden that is a small representation of the 105 acre garden of the Chatsworth estate. The stunning rocks and boulders used were chosen from the estate and were being returned there after their brief trip south to Chelsea.
This garden got many people and opinions but I really loved the wildness of it and as Chatsworth is on my "To Do" list this year I look forward to seeing it in its natural splendour.... Chatsworth; the inspiration for Pemberley in Pride & Prejudice... you can just see Mr Darcy walking across this heathland.
 It was also lovely to see Dan on the garden talking to spectators and guests on the planting and design of the garden.
Urban Retreat - Homebase

The Homebase Garden Urban retreat  - Gold - designed by Adam Frost this garden is inspired by the work of Marcel Breuer modernist architect and blends the balance of nature and man made environment.
The beautiful planting completely complimented the concrete, cedar and steel of the garden. I loved the foxgloves, irises and purple thistles and the colour palette was gorgeous.

Healthy Cities Garden - Chris Beardshaw - Gold
Sentebale - Hope in Vulnerability
Another garden that was filled with gorgeous purple hues was the The Healthy Cities Garden from Morgan Stanley designed by Chris Beardshaw was awarded Gold. The garden demonstrates the city designs of box hedges, and stunning vibrant planting. It was lovely to see so many vintage flowers making a huge comeback at this years Chelsea; Lupins, Irises, and foxgloves were in abundance across many gardens. This garden will relocate to a location in East London post Chelsea and I look forward to seeing it in an urban environment.
My favourite garden of the event was the stunning Sentebale - Hope in Vulnerability garden designed by Matt Keightley - awarded Silver Gilt by the judges which I think was a little harsh as it really was the most gorgeous garden.
This garden transports you to South Africa and the bright planting really stands out against the dust and stones of the hut.
Sentebale - Matt Keightley
The garden has been designed to raise awareness of HIV and provide an environment for adults to receive treatment and children to gain education and play. This garden was designed in conjunction with Prince Harry who is the patron of the Sentebale charity. Matt Keightley was on the garden when I visited on Friday and it was lovely to see him awarded later in the afternoon with the BBC Peoples Award voted by the public during the week of Chelsea ~ a worthy winner with a beautiful garden. The mulberry Irises and peonies were 2 of my favourite flowers from the day, and was lovely to see such classically british flowers styled in such a different environment.

As you can see Matt was joined by Joe and Monty from the BBC to receive his award with much humour and entertainment.
I loved walking around the gardens and found them much more accessible than previous years; Chelsea is busy and the gardens are often several deep at the viewing locations, but I didn't wait long to see the gardens and looking back at my photographs I am really please with the images captured. I hope that you have enjoyed my little plot of my favourites from the artisans and avenues.
 Pop back later in the week when I share my highlights from the Pavilion and London in Bloom.

No comments:

Tuesday, 26 May 2015

Chelsea Flower show - avenue & artisan

Friday afternoon I took a few hours off work and headed west to the beautiful grounds of the Old Chelsea Hospital to browse and marvel at the Floral and Landscape artists of the Chelsea Flower show. I have been a couple of times before, however this was the first time with an afternoon ticket and I liked the time and it felt a little more relaxed than the early morning rush I have experienced previously.In this post I am going to share some favourites from the show gardens, having watched the TV show and read some detail online previously I knew what things I wanted to see in the time frame that I had.
Trugmakers Garden ~ Gold

A Trugmakers Garden ~ celebrates the traditional skills in Sussex that make the iconic wllow and sweet chesnut trugs. I adorded this garden it bought back waves on nostalgia of my Gramps's allotment where there was always swaiths of wildflowers, poppies and tools!. Lovely to read that a large part of this garden will be replanted at a childrens hospice in Sussex.
This garden won a Gold medal, one I think is a worthy winner.

Old Forge for Motor Neurone - Silver
Another favourite in the Artisan gardens was this gorgeous Old Forge for Motor Neurone Disease Garden which was a beautiful nostalgic garden filled with hollyhocks, buttercups, and poppies, complete with a small stream. The blacksmiths forge in disrepair,due to their inability to work due to illness. The garden was a delightful trip down a bygone era.
Great Chelsea Garden Challenge - Sean Murphy
Sean Murphy's garden was created on winning the Great Garden Challenge on the BBC. It showcased a front garden and demonstrated hoe you could have a sustainable garden with urban living accommodating parking, but incorporating drainage and opportunities for insects and wildlife. I really liked this garden and would like to incorporate some of these ideas when I finally get round to dosing something with my jungle and drive!.
Laurent Perrier Chatsworth Garden 
Laurent Perrier Chatsworth Garden - Gold & Best in show
Designed by Dan Pearson who returned to Chelsea after a hiatus of several years worked with LP and Chatsworth to design a garden that is a small representation of the 105 acre garden of the Chatsworth estate. The stunning rocks and boulders used were chosen from the estate and were being returned there after their brief trip south to Chelsea.
This garden got many people and opinions but I really loved the wildness of it and as Chatsworth is on my "To Do" list this year I look forward to seeing it in its natural splendour.... Chatsworth; the inspiration for Pemberley in Pride & Prejudice... you can just see Mr Darcy walking across this heathland.
 It was also lovely to see Dan on the garden talking to spectators and guests on the planting and design of the garden.
Urban Retreat - Homebase

The Homebase Garden Urban retreat  - Gold - designed by Adam Frost this garden is inspired by the work of Marcel Breuer modernist architect and blends the balance of nature and man made environment.
The beautiful planting completely complimented the concrete, cedar and steel of the garden. I loved the foxgloves, irises and purple thistles and the colour palette was gorgeous.

Healthy Cities Garden - Chris Beardshaw - Gold
Sentebale - Hope in Vulnerability
Another garden that was filled with gorgeous purple hues was the The Healthy Cities Garden from Morgan Stanley designed by Chris Beardshaw was awarded Gold. The garden demonstrates the city designs of box hedges, and stunning vibrant planting. It was lovely to see so many vintage flowers making a huge comeback at this years Chelsea; Lupins, Irises, and foxgloves were in abundance across many gardens. This garden will relocate to a location in East London post Chelsea and I look forward to seeing it in an urban environment.
My favourite garden of the event was the stunning Sentebale - Hope in Vulnerability garden designed by Matt Keightley - awarded Silver Gilt by the judges which I think was a little harsh as it really was the most gorgeous garden.
This garden transports you to South Africa and the bright planting really stands out against the dust and stones of the hut.
Sentebale - Matt Keightley
The garden has been designed to raise awareness of HIV and provide an environment for adults to receive treatment and children to gain education and play. This garden was designed in conjunction with Prince Harry who is the patron of the Sentebale charity. Matt Keightley was on the garden when I visited on Friday and it was lovely to see him awarded later in the afternoon with the BBC Peoples Award voted by the public during the week of Chelsea ~ a worthy winner with a beautiful garden. The mulberry Irises and peonies were 2 of my favourite flowers from the day, and was lovely to see such classically british flowers styled in such a different environment.

As you can see Matt was joined by Joe and Monty from the BBC to receive his award with much humour and entertainment.
I loved walking around the gardens and found them much more accessible than previous years; Chelsea is busy and the gardens are often several deep at the viewing locations, but I didn't wait long to see the gardens and looking back at my photographs I am really please with the images captured. I hope that you have enjoyed my little plot of my favourites from the artisans and avenues.
 Pop back later in the week when I share my highlights from the Pavilion and London in Bloom.

No comments: