Tuesday, 16 September 2014

Baby bakes & 80's cakes.....

It's been ages since I baked and even longer since I did any cake decorating, but this summer I have dragged my trusty cake tool box out of the cupboard a couple of times to bake for an 80th Birthday and a Baby Shower.
For the Baby shower cake I was sent a picture of the stationery, napkins and tablecloth and asked to make something to fit in with the design. My friend who's shower it was doesn't know the gender of the baby, which for these days is quite unusual and the shower was also a surprise!
I baked a 3 layer lemon madeira, sandwiched with lemon curd and lemon buttercream and then covered with white sugar paste.  The theme was baby clothes on a washing line, and I had this bright idea to do something similar... something I later regretted, as it did give me a sleepless night. After stressing about iced babygro's and miniature pegs I was really happy with the outcome.
I found a fab little baby onesie on the Iced Jems website which was perfect for the cupcakes. I made the buttons from a small round cutter and indenting a button. Really love these, so think they may be featuring on more cakes in the future. With the cake doweled and washing line posts made from straws and bakers twine, it all came together ok. The cake was accompanied by a  mixture of lemon cupcakes - large & small decorated with onesies and buttons - all for Baby Cook.
My other cake made at the end of July was one of the hottest days of the year. Hats off to the bakers that have produced amazing creations during this summer!... thankfully I had wired the flowers on an evening that was a little cooler and had baked the fruitcake a couple of months ago, so all I had to do was ice and decorate.
This was an old school cake, complete with garret frill, flowers and ribbon... took me back to my early cake decorating years. As always, my least favourite part is 'writing' on the cake... thankfully they didn't want an essay and liked the simplicity of the design. My mums best friend was delighted as she had never had a 'proper' birthday cake before!.
I'm now planning future bakes, and with GBBO in full bake on BBC its perfect inspiration to get my baking box out again, especially after meeting the Queen of Bakes - Mary Berry..... Also have a planned visit to the BBC Bake & Cake show... so will hopefully see some of you there...... what have you been baking lately?



No comments:

Tuesday, 16 September 2014

Baby bakes & 80's cakes.....

It's been ages since I baked and even longer since I did any cake decorating, but this summer I have dragged my trusty cake tool box out of the cupboard a couple of times to bake for an 80th Birthday and a Baby Shower.
For the Baby shower cake I was sent a picture of the stationery, napkins and tablecloth and asked to make something to fit in with the design. My friend who's shower it was doesn't know the gender of the baby, which for these days is quite unusual and the shower was also a surprise!
I baked a 3 layer lemon madeira, sandwiched with lemon curd and lemon buttercream and then covered with white sugar paste.  The theme was baby clothes on a washing line, and I had this bright idea to do something similar... something I later regretted, as it did give me a sleepless night. After stressing about iced babygro's and miniature pegs I was really happy with the outcome.
I found a fab little baby onesie on the Iced Jems website which was perfect for the cupcakes. I made the buttons from a small round cutter and indenting a button. Really love these, so think they may be featuring on more cakes in the future. With the cake doweled and washing line posts made from straws and bakers twine, it all came together ok. The cake was accompanied by a  mixture of lemon cupcakes - large & small decorated with onesies and buttons - all for Baby Cook.
My other cake made at the end of July was one of the hottest days of the year. Hats off to the bakers that have produced amazing creations during this summer!... thankfully I had wired the flowers on an evening that was a little cooler and had baked the fruitcake a couple of months ago, so all I had to do was ice and decorate.
This was an old school cake, complete with garret frill, flowers and ribbon... took me back to my early cake decorating years. As always, my least favourite part is 'writing' on the cake... thankfully they didn't want an essay and liked the simplicity of the design. My mums best friend was delighted as she had never had a 'proper' birthday cake before!.
I'm now planning future bakes, and with GBBO in full bake on BBC its perfect inspiration to get my baking box out again, especially after meeting the Queen of Bakes - Mary Berry..... Also have a planned visit to the BBC Bake & Cake show... so will hopefully see some of you there...... what have you been baking lately?



No comments: