Wednesday, 13 February 2013

A pool of memories

15 years ago on a decadent trip to New York, my friend and I dined at the Windows of the World restaurant. Windows was 107 floors above the financial district streets of New York at the top of the North tower of the World Trade centre. 10 months before the towers fell I spent another evening dining in the clouds celebrating Thanksgiving with friends. The two towers hold a special place in my heart. Every year that I have returned since I've always visited the site to pay my respects. 
This time I booked to visit the memorial gardens, which opened last year on the towers 10th anniversary. 
Access to the grounds is timed and ticketed this allows numbers to be controlled and to manage the number of security checks to take place before entry. Construction still surrounds the area, but the peace an tranquility that these gardens bring is really surprising. The two memorial infinity pools are in the shadows of the new One World Trade centre. On completion this will be New Yorks highest tower. 
The 9/11 memorial has been built with empathy and is a beautiful tribute to the two towers and the 3,000 people that perished on that day. The memorial covers just over an acre and the two infinity pools are tranquil and soothing. 
I can't describe the emotion that I felt as I stood by the pools and read the names engraved around each of them.  I hope that the families of those lost find comfort in this space, it will serve as a lifelong memorial, through rain, sun and snow.
The 9/11 memorial ticket office holds several small exhibits from the rescue and recovery mission, including a pair of police officers gloves with the words Thankyou written on them... A small gesture that means so much.... 
Entry to the memorial garden is free with optional donation.

No comments:

Wednesday, 13 February 2013

A pool of memories

15 years ago on a decadent trip to New York, my friend and I dined at the Windows of the World restaurant. Windows was 107 floors above the financial district streets of New York at the top of the North tower of the World Trade centre. 10 months before the towers fell I spent another evening dining in the clouds celebrating Thanksgiving with friends. The two towers hold a special place in my heart. Every year that I have returned since I've always visited the site to pay my respects. 
This time I booked to visit the memorial gardens, which opened last year on the towers 10th anniversary. 
Access to the grounds is timed and ticketed this allows numbers to be controlled and to manage the number of security checks to take place before entry. Construction still surrounds the area, but the peace an tranquility that these gardens bring is really surprising. The two memorial infinity pools are in the shadows of the new One World Trade centre. On completion this will be New Yorks highest tower. 
The 9/11 memorial has been built with empathy and is a beautiful tribute to the two towers and the 3,000 people that perished on that day. The memorial covers just over an acre and the two infinity pools are tranquil and soothing. 
I can't describe the emotion that I felt as I stood by the pools and read the names engraved around each of them.  I hope that the families of those lost find comfort in this space, it will serve as a lifelong memorial, through rain, sun and snow.
The 9/11 memorial ticket office holds several small exhibits from the rescue and recovery mission, including a pair of police officers gloves with the words Thankyou written on them... A small gesture that means so much.... 
Entry to the memorial garden is free with optional donation.

No comments: