Friday, 1 February 2013

On the East side...

This time when I visited the New York I stayed on the East Side of the city.... It was a great location and allowed me to explore lots on foot. A couple of blocks walk east from the hotel down a beautiful brownstone lined street and I was facing the Hudson river. Across the river to the right, and  sited at the Gantry Entry plaza in Queens is the iconic Pepsi Cola sign. This sign features in one of my favourite movies Julie & Julia.  Behind and into the distance is a much more urban and industrial New York, this area has a real retro feel about it.
The sun was setting as I walked through the park area and showcased the bridges and buildings beautifully against the blue sky and river.
To the left is the majestic Queensboro bridge, a double stacked bridge both with 4 lane traffic each way. This is the bridge that you cross on the way in from JFK airport. The bridge spans the Hudson and above Roosevelt island, which is accessible by cable car. One of the best sights as you walk around this area is the famous red cable cars crossing above you and along the bridge to the island. Movie fans will recognise this from the Spiderman movie, when he rescues Mary Jane from the Green Goblin and more recently from the Batman franchise, Dark knight rises. 

I thoroughly enjoyed my stroll along the river I felt very much the New Yorker!


No comments:

Friday, 1 February 2013

On the East side...

This time when I visited the New York I stayed on the East Side of the city.... It was a great location and allowed me to explore lots on foot. A couple of blocks walk east from the hotel down a beautiful brownstone lined street and I was facing the Hudson river. Across the river to the right, and  sited at the Gantry Entry plaza in Queens is the iconic Pepsi Cola sign. This sign features in one of my favourite movies Julie & Julia.  Behind and into the distance is a much more urban and industrial New York, this area has a real retro feel about it.
The sun was setting as I walked through the park area and showcased the bridges and buildings beautifully against the blue sky and river.
To the left is the majestic Queensboro bridge, a double stacked bridge both with 4 lane traffic each way. This is the bridge that you cross on the way in from JFK airport. The bridge spans the Hudson and above Roosevelt island, which is accessible by cable car. One of the best sights as you walk around this area is the famous red cable cars crossing above you and along the bridge to the island. Movie fans will recognise this from the Spiderman movie, when he rescues Mary Jane from the Green Goblin and more recently from the Batman franchise, Dark knight rises. 

I thoroughly enjoyed my stroll along the river I felt very much the New Yorker!


No comments: