Saturday, 14 December 2013

A different kind of Ballet...

Friday saw me head to Sadler's Wells Theatre for an evening at the Ballet. Going to the ballet has been a bit of a tradition for me and my friend over the past couple of years at Christmastime. Along with the traditional ballets on in London, Matthew Bourne has bought his critically acclaimed Swan Lake back to the stage. This was this years golden ticket, unfortunately my friends husband is still in hospital and quite poorly so she was unable to join me. Even our contingency plans fell so I headed over to Angel by myself.
For those not familiar with Bourne's work, he is renowned for putting a very contemporary twist on classic ballets, over the years he has adapted Sleeping Beauty, The Nutcracker and Cinderella. As well as using contemporary ballet along with other dance styles, Bourne is renowned for using male dancers; this years swans are all male.
Set against the classic Tchaikovsky score Bourne's interpretation is simply stunning.
When the swans appeared it truly was spectacular, in their feathered costumes, gothic make-up and chiseled torso's it was a site to beholden!
I thoroughly enjoyed the show, standing ovation from all at the end... If you can get to see this in London, or as it tours the UK next year, then I urge you to grab a ticket. Mesmerising, a sheer masterpiece.
The only dampener on my evening was that my friend was unable to come with me.
Get better soon Dave, xxx 

No comments:

Saturday, 14 December 2013

A different kind of Ballet...

Friday saw me head to Sadler's Wells Theatre for an evening at the Ballet. Going to the ballet has been a bit of a tradition for me and my friend over the past couple of years at Christmastime. Along with the traditional ballets on in London, Matthew Bourne has bought his critically acclaimed Swan Lake back to the stage. This was this years golden ticket, unfortunately my friends husband is still in hospital and quite poorly so she was unable to join me. Even our contingency plans fell so I headed over to Angel by myself.
For those not familiar with Bourne's work, he is renowned for putting a very contemporary twist on classic ballets, over the years he has adapted Sleeping Beauty, The Nutcracker and Cinderella. As well as using contemporary ballet along with other dance styles, Bourne is renowned for using male dancers; this years swans are all male.
Set against the classic Tchaikovsky score Bourne's interpretation is simply stunning.
When the swans appeared it truly was spectacular, in their feathered costumes, gothic make-up and chiseled torso's it was a site to beholden!
I thoroughly enjoyed the show, standing ovation from all at the end... If you can get to see this in London, or as it tours the UK next year, then I urge you to grab a ticket. Mesmerising, a sheer masterpiece.
The only dampener on my evening was that my friend was unable to come with me.
Get better soon Dave, xxx 

No comments: