Thursday, 5 December 2013

Paris at Christmastime..pt quatre

My final part of my day trip to Paris was always going to feature shops!... Aside from the Champs Élysées the other famous shopping area is around le Galleries Lafyette.
Paris is famed for being the city of light and my walk through the city didn't disappoint as evening fell. The Champs élysées with its circular decorations and perfectly lit trees was both modern and Christmassy in its styling.
My walk through the side streets of Paris was filled with light installations and trees.
Paris has 2 big department stores ( the equivalent of our selfridges and harrods) which sit alongside each other. Printemps and Galleries Lafyette. Both vie for top billing and best christmas styled.
This year Printemps has been sponsored by Prada complete with Prada bears who feature in many guises along their oil day windows. The scheme is fun, stylish and very interactive for the children who come to see the windows. With the store facing and canopy festooned with red & white lights, it really is a Christmas spectacular.
The Galleries Lafyette facade is festooned with bright pink strobe lights and their scheme this year is all about time. The time spent before Christmas, counting down to Christmas and the time spent at Christmas. Each window depicts a different scene in a haze of characters that would not be out of place in a Lewis Carroll novel.
What GL lacks in visuals outside it makes up for inside, where its beautiful stain glass windows and circular domed room come to life under a glittering Christmas tree clock, sponsored by swatch. With various characters circling the bottom of the tree, they spring to life as the clock strikes the hour.... Magical.
A browse around both stores were much required if only to check out the competition!... Both were beautiful, but I think Printemps won the Christmas battle for me. ( what lady doesn't love a bit of Prada!)
This stop was my last on my round trip of Paris... My final destination after another epic walk was the station where i boarded my train and slept to St Pancras! (I calculated on my return that I had walked at least 8 miles across Paris during my day, so didn't feel so guilty about the decadent indulgences during the day!)

3 comments:

mrsmsmeanderings said...

Such lovely photos, Teresa - I'm quite envious of your trip to Paris. xx

mrsmsmeanderings said...

Such lovely photos, Teresa - I'm quite envious of your trip to Paris. xx

Archies Mum said...

Sounds like you had an amazing time, and you fitted in so much in just 1 day. Its amazing what you can achieve in just 1 day. You must have been so tired

Thursday, 5 December 2013

Paris at Christmastime..pt quatre

My final part of my day trip to Paris was always going to feature shops!... Aside from the Champs Élysées the other famous shopping area is around le Galleries Lafyette.
Paris is famed for being the city of light and my walk through the city didn't disappoint as evening fell. The Champs élysées with its circular decorations and perfectly lit trees was both modern and Christmassy in its styling.
My walk through the side streets of Paris was filled with light installations and trees.
Paris has 2 big department stores ( the equivalent of our selfridges and harrods) which sit alongside each other. Printemps and Galleries Lafyette. Both vie for top billing and best christmas styled.
This year Printemps has been sponsored by Prada complete with Prada bears who feature in many guises along their oil day windows. The scheme is fun, stylish and very interactive for the children who come to see the windows. With the store facing and canopy festooned with red & white lights, it really is a Christmas spectacular.
The Galleries Lafyette facade is festooned with bright pink strobe lights and their scheme this year is all about time. The time spent before Christmas, counting down to Christmas and the time spent at Christmas. Each window depicts a different scene in a haze of characters that would not be out of place in a Lewis Carroll novel.
What GL lacks in visuals outside it makes up for inside, where its beautiful stain glass windows and circular domed room come to life under a glittering Christmas tree clock, sponsored by swatch. With various characters circling the bottom of the tree, they spring to life as the clock strikes the hour.... Magical.
A browse around both stores were much required if only to check out the competition!... Both were beautiful, but I think Printemps won the Christmas battle for me. ( what lady doesn't love a bit of Prada!)
This stop was my last on my round trip of Paris... My final destination after another epic walk was the station where i boarded my train and slept to St Pancras! (I calculated on my return that I had walked at least 8 miles across Paris during my day, so didn't feel so guilty about the decadent indulgences during the day!)

3 comments:

mrsmsmeanderings said...

Such lovely photos, Teresa - I'm quite envious of your trip to Paris. xx

mrsmsmeanderings said...

Such lovely photos, Teresa - I'm quite envious of your trip to Paris. xx

Archies Mum said...

Sounds like you had an amazing time, and you fitted in so much in just 1 day. Its amazing what you can achieve in just 1 day. You must have been so tired