Thursday, 5 December 2013

Paris at Christmastime..pt trois

After an indulgent Hot Chocolate in Angelinas it was time for more walking!.. This time I set off towards the Champs Élysées. At the beginning off this majestic road stands a huge carousel which is much part of the Christmas experience. I decided that I would take a ride. Although the sun was bright,the morning had been quite foggy and the winter clouds hung low in the sky. This seemed a better option of seeing some of Paris from above than climbing to the summit of the Sacre Coeur or ascending the structure of the Eiffel Tower.
The views were great and the experience fun, although would prefer that the seats were a little more stable and didn't rock in the breeze!
Once on firmer ground I ambled along the champs élysées where a huge Christmas market was set along each side of the busy road. The wooden cabins selling christmas wares were complimented with roasted marons (chestnuts) gingerbread, churros, cheeses and mulled wine, It was a feast for the senses.
The market stretched for at least half a mile, during the time I was there it wasn't too busy, however as darkness fell and the lights began to twinkle it became very busy. Once on the main shopping concourse my destination was Laduree home of the original French macaron. I know I can buy these back in the uk, and Pierre Hermes are as amazing, but I wanted to see the inside of the fabulous little green tea rooms as much as buy some decadent macarons.
Festive christmas box in hand I left the beautiful store and walked back along the market towards my last destination area - Galleries Lafyette.

No comments:

Thursday, 5 December 2013

Paris at Christmastime..pt trois

After an indulgent Hot Chocolate in Angelinas it was time for more walking!.. This time I set off towards the Champs Élysées. At the beginning off this majestic road stands a huge carousel which is much part of the Christmas experience. I decided that I would take a ride. Although the sun was bright,the morning had been quite foggy and the winter clouds hung low in the sky. This seemed a better option of seeing some of Paris from above than climbing to the summit of the Sacre Coeur or ascending the structure of the Eiffel Tower.
The views were great and the experience fun, although would prefer that the seats were a little more stable and didn't rock in the breeze!
Once on firmer ground I ambled along the champs élysées where a huge Christmas market was set along each side of the busy road. The wooden cabins selling christmas wares were complimented with roasted marons (chestnuts) gingerbread, churros, cheeses and mulled wine, It was a feast for the senses.
The market stretched for at least half a mile, during the time I was there it wasn't too busy, however as darkness fell and the lights began to twinkle it became very busy. Once on the main shopping concourse my destination was Laduree home of the original French macaron. I know I can buy these back in the uk, and Pierre Hermes are as amazing, but I wanted to see the inside of the fabulous little green tea rooms as much as buy some decadent macarons.
Festive christmas box in hand I left the beautiful store and walked back along the market towards my last destination area - Galleries Lafyette.

No comments: