Friday, 7 May 2010

Friday 5 - Childhood books

I've recently been partnered with Caroline over at "What's happening at my House" in a swap so have been popping onto her blog to get ideas and have avidly followed her Friday 5.
Each Friday she posts 5 things on a mutual topic. This weeks topic is Childhood Books..... what better way to start than post my 5 fav books from my childhood, as an avid reader from an early age this was very difficult to just pick 5!
1. The Wishing Chair & Magic Faraway Tree series - Enid Blyton. I could of quite easily filled my list with  4 of Enid Blyton's series but have restrained with 2. I loved these books, I would curl up on my Gramps lap in his old rocking chair and we would transport ourselves away to a far away land with Molly & Peter and Chinky the pixie.
2. Pollyanna - Eleanor H Porter - a nickname that stuck from my grandparents all their life... heavily influenced by my obsession with always having my head in this book from a young age usually sitting on the backstep in the garden. It still sits in my top 5 films and will always be known as my 'Glad book', stemming from an orphaned girl sent to live with her stuffy aunt in a repressed town, where she teaches them the Glad game.
3. Secret Seven Series - Enid Blyton, Oh I so wanted to live with these guys and be part of their adventures, these 7 started my investigative nature which obviously led to the famous 5 and then into my love of all CSI now!.... it just makes you want to drink lashings of ginger beer and jam sandwiches!.... many a night with a torch under the bed sheet to finish the last chapter!
4. Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm - Kate Douglas Wiggin - large family of siblings sent to live with two maiden aunts on a farm,a heartwarming tale where Rebecca's joy for life inspires the aunts (eventually)... spending summers in the country in Suffolk gave me a feel of life in the country and this book as always my reading book of choice here.
5. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott - This is the book that took me through childhood into teens, as the character association changes dependant on what age you read it! and a book that I still read now.... from a family of strong women this book was always going to figure in my top 5.

2 comments:

Archies Mum said...

What a brilliant idea. It really got me thinking of what my fav books had been all those years ago. I have to copy off you with your first choice - you couldn't beat the (1)Wishing Chair and Magic Faraway Tree, then ofcourse it has to be (2) Mallory Towers, then another fav of mine (3) all the Beatrix Potter books. My nan would always bring a Potter book home for me every time she went away, and she would have to read it to me. Number (4)is Carries War, I loved this book and they adapted it for tv and it was near enough the same as the book, and last but not least (5) The Borrowers. I'm sure I'll think of others as soon as I click the publish button lol x

Florence and Mary said...

The Faraway Tree stories were my favourite.. that and The Naughtiest Girl in the school!

Victoria xx

Friday, 7 May 2010

Friday 5 - Childhood books

I've recently been partnered with Caroline over at "What's happening at my House" in a swap so have been popping onto her blog to get ideas and have avidly followed her Friday 5.
Each Friday she posts 5 things on a mutual topic. This weeks topic is Childhood Books..... what better way to start than post my 5 fav books from my childhood, as an avid reader from an early age this was very difficult to just pick 5!
1. The Wishing Chair & Magic Faraway Tree series - Enid Blyton. I could of quite easily filled my list with  4 of Enid Blyton's series but have restrained with 2. I loved these books, I would curl up on my Gramps lap in his old rocking chair and we would transport ourselves away to a far away land with Molly & Peter and Chinky the pixie.
2. Pollyanna - Eleanor H Porter - a nickname that stuck from my grandparents all their life... heavily influenced by my obsession with always having my head in this book from a young age usually sitting on the backstep in the garden. It still sits in my top 5 films and will always be known as my 'Glad book', stemming from an orphaned girl sent to live with her stuffy aunt in a repressed town, where she teaches them the Glad game.
3. Secret Seven Series - Enid Blyton, Oh I so wanted to live with these guys and be part of their adventures, these 7 started my investigative nature which obviously led to the famous 5 and then into my love of all CSI now!.... it just makes you want to drink lashings of ginger beer and jam sandwiches!.... many a night with a torch under the bed sheet to finish the last chapter!
4. Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm - Kate Douglas Wiggin - large family of siblings sent to live with two maiden aunts on a farm,a heartwarming tale where Rebecca's joy for life inspires the aunts (eventually)... spending summers in the country in Suffolk gave me a feel of life in the country and this book as always my reading book of choice here.
5. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott - This is the book that took me through childhood into teens, as the character association changes dependant on what age you read it! and a book that I still read now.... from a family of strong women this book was always going to figure in my top 5.

2 comments:

Archies Mum said...

What a brilliant idea. It really got me thinking of what my fav books had been all those years ago. I have to copy off you with your first choice - you couldn't beat the (1)Wishing Chair and Magic Faraway Tree, then ofcourse it has to be (2) Mallory Towers, then another fav of mine (3) all the Beatrix Potter books. My nan would always bring a Potter book home for me every time she went away, and she would have to read it to me. Number (4)is Carries War, I loved this book and they adapted it for tv and it was near enough the same as the book, and last but not least (5) The Borrowers. I'm sure I'll think of others as soon as I click the publish button lol x

Florence and Mary said...

The Faraway Tree stories were my favourite.. that and The Naughtiest Girl in the school!

Victoria xx